These are just ten things I observed(in some fashion) suring the day today which led me to ponder and write about them. Just Monday.
- Brush your teeth. Seriously…just floss every few days and at the VERY LEAST, brush your teeth after breakfast in the mornings. Chew some sugar-free gum after meals; it helps prevent the buildup of plaque and that gagging sound your friends will make when you speak.
- Have a plan. I know there is a lot to be said for being spontaneous and adventurous, but at what price? Forgetting to do homework, forgetting to text or call your significant other, making overlapping plans, forgetting said plans…or in the larger scheme of things…. What do you want to do with your life? How do you plan to pursue your degree and blahblahblah. I'm not saying "Never do anything out of the blue,"…but you can do that while still being contentious about the 'goings on' in life. These are good things to consider.
- WAKE UP! If you cannot even drag your lazy behind out of bed without hitting snooze fifty times, what makes you think I'll have faith in your ability to do anything else? Goodness. Irresponsibility oozes from this behavior. It's probably ridiculous, but I really lose respect in a person's ability to fully function and run their lives if he/she cannot get the day started correctly. It's a mundane task and easy to accomplish. I promise.
- Don't be a prude. You know what it means.
- Cover it. When you sneeze or cough, DO IT INTO YOUR ELBOW, not your hand. Common sense people, let's get it together.
- Talk to me. Don't ask how my day is and not want to know. Don't tell me stories about your significant other all the damn time. Don't just make sexual jokes or act stupid; I enjoy silly humor as much as the next person, but sometimes my brain requires more. Ask about my interest in history and education. Ask how I like to eat my steak. Ask about my favorite movies, where I work and what I think about different colored fire hydrants. I'll ask you about your schooling, your friends, your favorite number, what clothes you like or even how intuitive your cat is. Simple or complex, make it interesting…and most of all, BE INTERESTED. Don't just go through the motions. If we're to be friends, let's make it worthwhile.
- Wash your hands. Okay, so if I happen to see you walk out of a bathroom without washing your hands or using sanitizer, don't be surprised if I'm hesitant to let you touch me. It's not that I'm a ridiculous germaphobe or anything. Hell, go roll in some dirt then hug me….but the BATHROOM? Yeah. Too much.
- Every single day, compliment yourself or tell yourself something you deserve. (I'm not talking undeserved sense of entitlement, just a good boost.) If you've had a bad day but still busted your butt at the gym and you are dying for that candy bar, have one. Ladies, if your man isn't putting forth enough effort in the relationship, tell him what you're looking for and try to compromise. Fellas, is your woman not giving you what you need? Romance her a little bit and see if she'll fall lovingly into your arms. Communication is the key. Are you always going and going? Reward yourself with an evening off and relax. When you look into the mirror, take note of your attributes. "Wow, my eyes are sparkling today!" or, "Dang, these jeans make my butt look good."
- Never compromise your belief for someone else. I believe that people should stand up for what they think whether that means defending your religion, sexual practices and orientation, feelings about politics or opinions about substance abuse, etc. However, this doesn't mean you should shut out every other idea. Be considerate to others views and if you like or dislike them if up to you but be graceful in your response. Also, this encompasses the whole, "Never do something just to impress someone" concept. Don't go to church because I do. Don't drink until your slur because they do. Do what you WANT….or experiment and try to at least FIGURE what you want. This is a great life and you should enjoy it as YOU, not as anyone else.
- Laugh. You just have to- plain and simple. It heals the heart and mind from all the wounds you've received and will receive. Do the things you love with people you love.

No comments:
Post a Comment